August 18, 2017

Assorted and Sundry

I've been trying to do this blogging thing more often/regularly, but I can't seem to find the motivation.

Life at Chateau JBro FoCo has settled into a bit of a dull routine.  Wake up, walk dogs, shower, go to work, come home in the evening, watch some TV, drink a beer or two, go to bed.  I really need to get out of the apartment more, but I'm trying to maintain my frugality.

Work is... well, work.  Getting a bit frustrated with the resistance of some in the office to make changes in the way we do things.  "We've never done that in the past" and "We've always done it this way" are the two most annoying phrases in the workplace, IMHO (well, aside from "We're out of coffee") and it's annoying as hell.  I find myself spending far more time looking for information that I should, just to fix an issue that shouldn't take this long to fix.

That aside, I've also proven my worth to the bosses -- I took on a new client, set them up the RIGHT way from the start, and after a few wrinkles got worked out in the first couple months, we've heard nary a word from them about any technical issue since.  That translates into 8 billable hours of revenue a month per their contract, with about 0.5 hours of work a month.  Or, roughly, $1,125 a month of pure profit.  "You're welcome" seems accurate.

I've had it up to here with politics, and want nothing to do with the most vocal folks on either side of the spectrum.  I'm beyond disgusted with the behavior of many people, and think y'all need a damn timeout.  Not every conservative is a white supremacist, not every liberal is Antifa, not every minority is a BLM or La Raza supporter, and I really thought we were better than the name calling and finger pointing that we see today.

I'll be headed to Wyoming (along with 50% of Colorado residents, it seems) this weekend to see the eclipse on Monday.  I've scouted some area just southeast of Casper, lots of National Forest land, and I'll just find a flat spot, throw the tent on the ground, and enjoy a weekend in the wilderness.  Some reports that the population of Wyoming is expected to double this weekend -- recall that the state only has roughly 530,000 residents -- and that's going to be interesting.  I'm going to pack a gas can with a few extra gallons, just to be safe, and I'll be avoiding I-25 as much as humanly possible.  It's possible, and actually PROBABLE, that I stay until late Monday evening, maybe head for home around 8p, just to avoid the gridlock that is expected on the interstate.

Pulled an Over The Counter elk tag for this fall.  Buddy of mine and I have an area we'll hunt.  Figure a 5 day stretch should be sufficient.  If I get an elk, great.  If not, so be it.

Really looking forward to Blogorado this year.  I've got some home brewed beers I'll be taking down, along with some beer-grain bread and a few other tasty treats.  I miss my tribe, and need the recoil therapy in a bad way.

New truck is doing just great.  Had it in for an oil change Wednesday, and everything was pretty normal for a truck with 70,000 miles.  About the only complaint I could lodge is the fuel efficiency -- 17 mpg on the highway isn't what I'd consider "good", but I can live with it.

Anyway, that's about it.  Life's pretty decent, all things considered.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Be safe up there Monday, and take ALL the food, etc. you need. You know the stores will be sold out. I'd also gas up for the return as soon as you get there... That way you miss all the lines on Monday!

Old NFO said...

Hope you enjoyed the eclipse! :-)