June 5, 2017

Sunday Drive

Sunday morning, my dog Jake -- who apparently does not understand the concept of "Sleep in on the weekends" -- woke me at 0600 as he normally does to go outside and take care of business.  I let the dogs out, and despite best efforts I was unable to get back to sleep.  I poured some coffee, made some breakfast (corned beef hash and eggs with green chilies) and decided to take the truck up to the hills for a drive.

I went up to Poudre Canyon, along highway 14, following the Cache La Poudre River.  Recent rains, combined with warmer temperatures causing the annual spring snowmelt, had the river running high...


I went up past Kelly Flats campground, and took a left on Pingree Road.  Looking south towards Stormy Peaks...



I kept on past Fish Creek, then swung East on Buckhorn Road, which is a Class 6 road.  In Larimer County, roads are put into classes based on their priority for plowing: Class 1 are your major arteries, larger city streets, etc.  They get plowed first.  Class 5 roads get plowed only after everything else is plowed, sanded/salted, and plow truck drivers have had sufficient rest and wouldn't run into overtime if they plowed a Class 5.  Class 6 roads don't get plowed.  Ever.  Many of these roads are closed December-May, and unless you have a snowmobile, you're not getting up or down.  

Looking Southwest from a switchback on Buckhorn Road, towards Comanche Peak:



A Pine and Aspen grove along Buckhorn Road...



Buckhorn Creek.  Saw a LOT of trout in a calm pool just downstream from here.  Thought the rapids made a better picture, though.


Coming down the hill, I went through Masonville, came in the west side of Horsetooth Reservoir, and back home.  Took the truck to the car wash to rinse off the dirt, and had fish tacos at LaLuz for lunch.  All in all, a very pleasant Sunday morning drive, and I'm truly enjoying the truck.  




1 comment:

Old NFO said...

That's good, and some nice scenery there!