March 19, 2017

Wants and Needs

It's now the end of the third week without a car/vehicle, and I can't really say that it's been much of an inconvenience.

So far I have to admit that my needs are being met on foot.

My needs are quite simple: I need to be able to get to work, I need to be able to get food.  That's pretty much it, really.  Most of the rest of things in our lives are "wants", not "needs."

I want to go uptown for a sandwich and a couple beers at Coopersmith's, but I don't NEED to.  

I need to deposit my paycheck at the bank every other Friday, but I don't NEED to go to the bank to do that (my bank's mobile app allows me to take pictures of the check and deposit it that way... I haven't, because I can walk to the bank branch.)

I want to get busy improving my pistol work, but I don't NEED to go to the range to do that... Dry fire practice with the MantisX system I won in the Kilted to Kick Cancer contest will suffice for now.

I want to continue making home brew beer, but I don't NEED to go to the local home brew store to get the supplies, as I can purchase the items on line and have them delivered.

I want to spend more time outdoors, but I don't NEED to drive up into the mountains to make that happen -- There are paths, trails, and parks here in the city.

I want to continue making food at home to save money and have healthier meals, but I don't NEED to drive to the grocery store, as I can walk across the street.  (Yes, it does make for a bit of a challenge, trying to figure out what I can buy and carry home, and rather than make one trip every 10 days or so, I'm going to the grocery every two or three days, since I can't carry as much as I could in the cargo area of the Heep.  But again, that's want vs. need.)

My phone has an app that tracks my walking, if I choose to, and I've logged over 6,000 steps every day -- save one -- since I started tracking on March 1st.  Some days are closer to 12,000 steps.  One day I walked over 4.4 miles, just doing regular stuff (convenience store for a pack of smokes, grocery, went to see a movie, went to a new brewery in the area, etc.)

At any rate, I'm finding that I can make do with less and less and it doesn't bother me a bit at the moment to not have a vehicle.  I'm giving serious thought to holding off as long as I can, perhaps until September or so, in order to have as much cash as possible to put towards a vehicle.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to walk over to the Gilded Goat Berewery, because I want to meet my friend for a beer on the patio.  When it's 73 degrees in Northern Colorado in March, you sit on the patio and drink beer... it's what we do.

2 comments:

Suz said...

73 in March!! Wow! Don't blame you, I would be finding a reason to sit outside also.
I was excited that it was 50 here.

Old NFO said...

Socking money back first is a GREAT idea! As is fulfilling the needs now, and wants later!