March 9, 2017

Don't Be So Quick to Judge

Over on the book of faces, there's much brouhaha among some of my shooter/gun pals over this photograph:

Now, let's state up front that this isn't what most experienced shooters would consider "Good Form".  

Arms bent too much, grip is all wrong, and so on and so forth.

What I have yet to hear is any reasonable answer to the following question:

"Did he meet the objective of qualifying on the pistol course?"

I don't know what the US Army Pistol Qualifications standards look like.  I guess I could look them up, but I really don't care.  It's probably a minimum number of rounds into a specified target at a measured distance, and a scoring system.  Again, whatever.  

That's not the point.  The point is that for this specific event, the goal is to meet the qualification standard, and what nobody can tell me is if he did or did not.  

Because, and here's the thing: IF he met the qualification standard, then it really shouldn't matter how we view his form.  It doesn't matter if we point and laugh.  He got the job done.  Let's set aside for a minute any debate about if the US Army Pistol Qualification standard is an accurate reflection of marksmanship.  

At that time, in that place, the job was to meet the qualification minimum.  If he did that with this poor form, then who are we to judge?

Not for nothing, but back in the day Arnold Palmer had a pretty funny looking golf swing.  "Poor form", they said.  "Can't play golf like that", they said.

"Watch me," Arnold said.

And how'd that turn out after all? 



No comments: