February 21, 2017

DMV Rant

So took a couple extra hours during lunch today to get over to the DMV and get my Colorado driver's license (really for no other reason that I'd like to be able to buy a pistol, should I find myself flush with extra cash).

First, the BMV in Indiana is FAR more efficient than the one here.  Back in Indiana, I walked in and walked out with a driver's license in less than 15 minutes: "Here's my proof of residency, here's my old CO license, here's my money... Thank you, ma'am, you have a nice day, too."

Here, I took my number, then stood in line.  And stood.  And stood.

And stood.  For 2.5 hours.

After 2.5 hours, my number gets called, and I approach the counter.

Where I get told that my driving privileges in Colorado are suspended.

Because I did not provide proof of renewal of my insurance in September of 2013.

Which, coincidentally, happens to be ONE YEAR after I moved to Indiana.

To make things better, the form on which they printed the steps for appealing this issue has my name listed at the top...

... right above my old address in Arizona, which I left in 2008 to move here.

When I showed the DMV counter agent my Indiana license that has an issued date of 9/8/2012 as proof that I didn't LIVE in Colorado in September 2013, she shrugged her shoulders and pointed to the appeals form.

Absolutely unbelievable.

I'd make note that Colorado has no trouble taking taxes from my paycheck, but damned if they're going to keep their database current and accurate.


2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Wow... That. Just. Sucks!

Murphy's Law said...

But if you'd just gwabbled at them in Spanish you'd have probably walked right out with a drivers license and voter registration.