November 26, 2016

A Day Well Spent

On Friday, instead of suffering the masses and hordes of people exhibiting their worst behavior trying to snag a good deal on some trinket or another, I opted out and took to the hills.

My cousin Mel and her husband live here in Fort Collins, we we loaded up their two daughters, the three of us, and five pairs of skis and drove up Poudre Canyon to Cameron Pass.

We set onto the trail on the southern tip of Joe Wright Reservoir and skied up to Zimmerman Lake.


A few minutes of sitting on the shore, looking over the frozen lake and its blanket of snow, then we turned back and skied back down to the car.

Back in town, my Uncle Jan was passing through on his way back to Hood River, Oregon, where he lives.  I offered him the sofa for the night, and he accepted, so we drove up town to Coopersmith's for dinner and a couple beers.  He was duly impressed with the Smoked Salmon and Havarti Dill quesadilla, and I had a serving of Cottage Pie, which is like Shepherd's Pie in a large pastry shell.  It paired perfectly with a pint of Horesetooth Stout, and is highly recommended if you ever get to Fort Collins.

All in all, I got 3 hours of skiing time in the mountains, several hours of time with family, and a damn fine meal.

Oh, and I learned that Fidel Castro is taking the big dirt nap.

Honestly, I don't see how the day could have been any better.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Sounds like a great day! :-)