May 13, 2016

In Lieu of Real Content

* It's been a rainy month so far... We've had measurable precipitation for 11 of the 13 days in May, and a fair bit of it at that.  Ground is spongy, low spots are flooded with standing water, the White River is pushing over the banks, etc.  Good for the lawn and garden, but if we don't get a few days of sun and dry weather, the farmers are going to be hard pressed to get fields seeded.

* Spawn the Younger has recently made a pretty significant change in her attitude.  She's smiling more, sulking less.  Laughing more, grumping less.  If I ask her to do something, she does it with far less fuss than previously.  Not sure what's gotten into her, but I like it.  Maybe it's that she has been put on a new medication by the dermatologist to help control her acne, and it's working well.  At that age, physical appearance helps guide attitude, I guess.  Anyway, I'm liking her attitude. 

* Elder Spawn is quite the opposite.  She's got, as my Southern friends would say, "an alligator mouth and a hummingbird ass".  It's truly amazing to me that she thinks it's acceptable to tell an adult "Shut up, you're an idiot, nobody likes you."  That sort of thing would have earned me a proper ass-beating as a child.  She says it with impunity because her mother won't punish her any further than a stern talking-to.  I've gotten used to it, and pretty much ignore her... water off a duck's back and all that... but it does get tiresome.  There are days I dread going home from work, because I am just tired of being spoken to with such disrespect. 

* Got to the range yesterday before the storms came in.  I had to remove and remount the scope on my Marlin Glenfield Model 60, so it was time to check the zero, get it dialed in.  I ran a 100 rounds of CCI Stinger and after about 10 I was plugging the bull and the proximity thereof pretty consistently at 50 yards.  It might be a 40+ year old gun that didn't cost $100 new, but by gosh I just _LOVE_ shooting that thing.  The fact that it was my dad's gun when he was a boy doesn't hurt.  I suspect I'll hand it down to my nephew some day, if he's of a mind.  

* Pork, Sweet Potato, Turmeric, and Quinoa Soup was on the table for dinner a few nights ago.  It turned out prety well, and will become a regular in the rotation.  

Take a couple pork hocks (smoked hocks, if you can get them) and plop 'em in the stock pot with celery, onion, carrots, and some black pepper, cover with water, and bring the heat to a soft boil.  Cover, reduce heat a bit, and let cook for a few hours.  Strain the solids, pick out the meat, and throw the rest into a compost pile.  

Return meat and liquid to the pot, add more black pepper, taragon, garlic powder, thyme, and turmeric to taste.  Put on low heat.   While the soup is cooking, take a few sweet potatoes, peel and cut into bite sized pieces.  Toss with EVOO and a bit of salt, cook in the oven at 250 for about 90 minutes.  Remove to cool.  

About 30 minutes before you're ready to serve, add 2 cups of unflavored quiona and increase heat to medium.  Bring to medium high heat and let it cook.  After 20 minutes, add the sweet potatoes, cook 10 minutes more, and serve.  Add more turmeric as needed.

* Considering switching from my current leather IWB holster to a Kydex IWB holster for the G19.  Recommendations are welcome.

That is all... 

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Elder spawn is going to get that attitude rammed down her throat if she tries that with the 'wrong' adult... Just sayin' Glad you got the rifle back on target! :-)