1. Iowa Caucus. It doesn't mean a damn thing. People make such a big deal about winning Iowa to get a jump on the other candidates. Ask Rick Santorum how that worked out for him in 2012.
2. Oil and Gas prices continue to drop. While I'm somewhat concerned for my friends back west who work in the O&G field in various capacities, I do have to say I rather enjoy being able to fill up the tank and keep it under $60. Been a long time coming...
3. Haven't brewed any beer in a while. Last batch was in October, when I made some hard cider. As this weekend is my Bachelor Weekend (wife.gov will be working her every third weekend shift at the hospital, and the Spawn will be with their father), I might have to do something about that.
4. I've been itching to get to the gun range for a long time. I really should make that a scheduled thing: Once a week, put it on my calendar, and block out the time. Far too often I have time, but make excuses and let other things take up that time, be it cooking, cleaning, doing repairs around Chateau JB, let work get in the way, etc. Either shoot weekly or shoot weakly, right? If I'm going to carry a firearm, then it's my duty to train and be damn sure I can hit what I am for... And thus, I'm going to the range once a week from here forward.
5. Conversation on FaceBook today about dead fish handshakes. Herein are JB's Rules for a Proper Handshake:
1. Look me in the eye.
2. Firm grasp, but don't try to break my metacarpals.
3. Three shakes*, then we're done.
(*Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.)
6. Stories like this warm me to the core.
We got cut short by the rain, but she put most of her rounds on the target and committed no major safety errors...and she wants to come out again. I call this day a "win" for bringing another new shooter into the flock. And even if she never buys a gun of her own, at least now she has a fair and accurate idea about what they're really like.And that last line is really the key. The minister at our church is rather staunchly against firearms. I don't agree with his position, obviously, but he's entitled to them. I have, however, questioned how he could be so against something with which he has no experience. That's right, he's never shot a gun. So I offered to take him. "I'll take you, I'll bring several different guns and ammo and safety equipment. I only ask that you listen to what I say when it comes to safety and that you bring an open mind. You might find you enjoy shooting."
7. Is this shaping up to be the worst possible Presidential election in history? I mean, we've got a self-avowed socialist, Shrillary, a reality TV show star, and "Christian first, American second" Cruz.
What a freaking JOKE we've become. You can't be telling me these are the best people we could find for the job.