August 19, 2015

This Story Sucks

I'm torn between loyalties on this story.

It should come as no surprise to the readers here that I am a huge dog guy.  I prefer the company of my dogs to the company of most people.  I get dogs.  I like dogs.  I am fascinated by their unconditional love and loyalty, their ability to learn, to perceive, the innate ability and drive to protect... The dog has all the characteristics I wish I had.

Dave Maggard and his dog Grace are known to frequently stroll through their Tanglewood neighborhood at 70th Street and Allisonville Road, but usually they're a trio.
Maggard says Thelma, a 9-year-old chocolate lab, broke away from the group during a recent morning walk, and when she wasn't waiting at the driveway like usual, he went looking for her.

It isn't quite clear from this if the dog Thelma belongs to Mr. Maggard or not, but later in the article we find a sentence that indicates Thelma is, in fact, Mr. Maggard's dog.  I would encourage Mr. Maggard to KEEP THE DOG ON A LEASH.      

A simple 6 foot length of rope can prevent many tragic events.

Like, say, this:
Maggard found Thelma two houses down, dead near the road.
"I thought at first she got hit," Maggard said. "But I looked between her eyes, and there was a hole right there."
Maggard thinks Thelma was shot between the eyes with a small-caliber gun.
Here's where my conflict starts: I don't know if the dog was shot with malicious intent or if the shooter acted in what he/she believed to be self-preservation (see a strange dog running up to you, pull your pistol, run thru the OOD part of the OODA loop, then shoot.)

If it was malicious, I want to find the bastards and hang 'em.  Then, too, I want to beat Mr. Maggard about the cranium and make him understand that a leash could have prevented this.

If it was self-defense, I find it hard to criticize that (while at the same time recognizing that labs aren't the most violent dogs and that there's no bad dog just a bad owner and just like a bull mastiff a lab can bite and so can a Shitzu and yadda yadda yadda.)  And then, again, I keep thinking "Leash the damn dog!"

And, at the end of the day, it's a dog that was killed, and that breaks my heart.

"You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell." ~Emily Dickinson

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

A sad story, and no, one should never let their dogs run free outside their control...