August 26, 2015

A Small, But Important, Detail

For my fellow pro-gun bloggers, I have a request.

As far as requests go, I think this a minor one.  But, in the grand scheme of things, it is an important one.

We've long been characterized by the anti-gun people as backwards, ignorant, uneducated, redneck buffoons who simply aren't enlightened enough to understand.

It should go without saying that this characterization is wrong.  Old NFO, in a post during the NRAAM this past April, makes note of this:

"Out of 19 people at dinner, there were 17 with Bachelor’s, 5 with Master’s (including 2 lawyers and 1 doctor), 1 PHD, 2 nationally certified paramedic instructors, 1 gunsmith, 4 published authors, 1 magazine editor, and 2 members of Mensa…"

Gun folks are, by and large, fairly intelligent folks.  We can discuss ballistics (physics) and hunting and philosophy and religion and politics and medicine and law and whether or not an IPA or a Porter is the better beer for drinking by the campfire.

We are smart people.

An thus, it just absolutely irritates my very last nerve when we put up a blog post or article and it is replete with typos, misspelled words, missing punctuation, and so forth.

Here's my request: If you want people to take you seriously, you need to proofread your stuff.

Please.



3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Good point, and sadly, I'm guilty of that myself when I'm writing something in a hurry... I really need a roofpreader... sigh :-)

Old 1811 said...

People: "It's" is not possessive! "Its" is possessive! "It's" means "It is"!
There. I feel better now.

Jeff B said...

Its: Belonging to it.
It's: It is.
There: A location.
Their: Belonging to them.
They're: They are.
To: Towards.
Too: As well.
Two: Between one and three.

My mother in law was my 7th grade English teacher. Into my 4th decade on this planet and she still corrects my grammar from time to time (one memorable moment, when I was chastising my eldest daughter, I had to rephrase: "Child, this is the sort of behavior up with which I will not put." Mimi smiled at me for that one...)