July 23, 2015

Range Report and Range Safety

Took advantage of a PERFECT East Central Indiana day, and headed to my local range after work for some recoil therapy.  It's been far too long since I've run rounds through any of my firearms, and as the old adage goes, "Shoot weekly or shoot weakly."

Besides, I'd recently picked up a 1938 Winchester Model 12 shotgun, in 16 Gauge, that I just HAD to try out.  Bought a box of shells at the local store, grabbed the Marlin .22LR just because, and naturally had my G-19 because EDC gun.

Got to the range, unpacked the gear, found that somehow the scope on the Marlin was only "halfway on".  That is, the rear-most scope ring wasn't secured to the rail on the top.  Which might explain why my shots were all sorts of off target -- normally, this gun is as tight as the loose nut behind the trigger is, with 1 inch groups at 100 yards.  Not bad for a gun that's pushing 30 years old.

Anyway, I re-secured the scope, ran some rounds through, got "close enough for now".  I still need a no-wind day to really dial it in, but for the purposes of today's trip, I got my fill.

Ran five mags through the Glock at 7 yards, was adequate enough.  Minute-of-Scum, should it come to that.  But again, I really need to get out more.


When I was packing up from the pistol and rifle range, I heard some strange buzzing sound.  Faint, but discernable.  Stood there for a minute, turning my head this way and that trying to locate the sound.

So, here's a photo of my range's firing line:

Do you see the door on the back wall, just left of the middle?

That door is usually propped open in the summer, facilitating better air flow, try to keep the firing line well ventilated and cooler.

Well, behind the door was an active wasp nest.  That was the source of the buzzing sound.

They never bothered me (I was shooting the Marlin from the far right bench (far left in this picture), which is for the 100 yard targets.  I did walk past the door to the pistol targets (far right in the picture), but again, the wasps never bothered me.

It did make me think, though: We always harp on "Range safety" stuff like Col. Cooper's 4 Rules, using Ear and Eye Protection, etc.  We've talked about first aid (in fact, I've helped give a class on Shooter Self-Care), and we are ever vigilant for people making a mistake with gun safety.  But I never thought about "Is there a wasp or bee nest nearby, and what would I do if I or someone else was allergic and got stung?"

I guess I'll be putting some thought into that.

Oh, and I sent an email to our club President as soon as I got home.  Posted the info to our club's Facebook wall, too, just to keep folks alert.

At any rate, I left them alone, they left me alone, I ran a box of shells through that Winchester (Oh... Mah... GAWD, Daddy LIKE!), and packed up.  Missus JB was waiting for me to get home, as she had a feast for the supper table.

But yeah... Sometimes, "range safety" ain't all about "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you're ready to shoot."  Sometimes it involves "Oh, hey, there's a wasp nest.... That sucks.  Let's pack up and go home.  Come back tomorrow with a can of Raid."

Be safe out there.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Smart move, and a good question... Not a lot of folks have the right equipment to deal with anaphylactic shock at the range. I know I don't... sigh

Murphy's Law said...

Treatment for anaphylaxis is simple: If you have an Epi-pen (a pre-filled syringe loaded with epinephrine) handy, you inject the patient and get them to a hospital immediately. If you don't have an epi-pen--and most people won't--you get the person to a hospital immediately. Either way, an allergic reaction from a sting MUST be dealt with by a doctor ASAP, even if the symptoms start out small. Death can and often will result from an untreated reaction as people wait "to see if it gets better" and suddenly their airway constricts and they die. Epinephrine and observation is the ONLY treatment and even the epi-pen is a temporary measure intended to keep the patient alive until they can get to the hospital.