April 28, 2015

Tactical Nostalgia

Was browsing over a local gun forum, checking out the listings in the "For Sale" section, and stumbled across a Winchester Model 12 in 16G for sale.


The pictures showed a wood stock, deeply enriched by years of palm sweat, cheek oils, and more than one day exposed to the sun and wind and rain.  There was a soft hint of rust long since removed, the metal slightly discolored, and again it spoke to countless days in the field, being used to take game or for protection of the homestead.  There's a bead sight, nothing more.  It's a shooter's gun, made in a time when one's skill and practice were needed because you didn't have a scope that adjusted for parallax.

I looked at that gun, and thought about the history.  It was made in 1937, nearly 80 years old now, and it invoked a nostalgic twang.  In many ways, it reminds me of the Marlin Model 60 in .22LR that my dad handed to me some years ago.  It's a gun with history, character, and personality.

I wonder if, 80 years from now, we'll ever have the same sense of memory and longing for the "good ol' days" when we look at our composite furniture AR-15s with the FDE stock and foregrip and the laser pointer and the red dot sight.

I love my current vehicle, a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  It drives easily, fits enough gear to go camping with the family, and has been a trusty, reliable, hard-working ride.

Some day, I'll get a new vehicle.  If current trends continue, the new ride will have computer controlled this and that, a navigation screen, will integrate with my home computers and send me an email to alert me that the oil needs changed, and have a built-in coffee maker with heated cup holders.  And I'll enjoy driving it.  But some day, I'm sure, I'll think fondly back to the Jeep and smile at the memories, and let the old nostalgic sense awash over me again.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Guns have an entirely DIFFERENT personality when you talk blued and real wood... Plastic fantastics, not so much...