March 10, 2015

Dude, you're not that tactical

One of the things that I've been seeing on various gun/shooter web forums is the recurring theme of "How do you carry when you ?" questions.

My left hand to Shiva, I saw a thread on a forum asking "How do you carry when you ride on your boat or Jet Ski?"

Look, slick, here's the thing: If you're on a boat, in the middle of the lake, you don't NEED to be carrying.  Do you think that a street thug with a penchant for holding up the local liquor store is going to air-drop from a CH-47 and land on your boat and hold you up for your wallet before rolling off the gunwhale into the water and escaping with his SCUBA gear?

People like these idgits really annoy me. 


How you should carry in 99.826% of your wakeful time: In a holster, on your hip, secured to a sturdy belt, and covered with your shirt.

Period.

If you think you're going to play Special Operator who Operates in Operations while you're swimming at the local watering hole, you're wrong.  Quit trying to be something you're not.

Grrr.

/ rant

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Agreed JB... sigh

ZerCool said...

I always stuffed a 642 with a lanyard in my PFD pocket when I was kayaking. Not worried in the least about other boaters or the Spetznaz Aquatic Ninjas, but the areas I kayaked were full of wildlife... and while the headline of "man attacked by beaver" is great for a locker-room guffaw, I know how fast I couldn't go in a kayak. :-)

Jeff B said...

I can understand taking a firearm on such an excursion.

What I don't understand is the urge or desire to pack your Glock in an IWB rig inside your Speedo while you waterski.