November 12, 2014

Veteran Records

Anyone have suggestions on how I can find out more about my Grandfather's military service record?  About all I have is his full name and the month/day of his birth.

He died when I was in high school, and I know he was in the Army during WWII, but that's really all I know.  I've got no other connection to him.  My biological father died two years ago, and we hadn't spoken in 20 years.  Gramma died not long after Gramps did, and that's that.  I have no other connections to use to find out more.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, all.

3 comments:

Dirk said...

I thought I heard an ad from Ancestry.com that said they had access to a lot of info like that, and they even had a free trial, at tryancestry.com I don't know if the free offer is still going, or how extensive the information is that they have available, though.

Old NFO said...

If you can find any papers with his service number than might help. If his records were destroyed in St. Louis, you're pretty much out of luck unless you can find his outfit he served with and check their historical files!

EMS Artifact said...

I'll echo what old NFO said. My father's service record was destroyed in St. Louis, but we had his discharge papers.

A lot of WW II veterans lost their service records and it's a PITA to try to recreate what they did.