February 12, 2013

Job Search

Searching for a job is such a pain in the... well, you know.

I'm in the unenviable position of being supremely qualified for a job I don't really want to do any longer (EMS), and modestly qualified but not "officially certified" for the job I do want (IT stuff).

It's looking more and more as if I'll have to go back to school, knock out a few certifications in computer stuff, before I'll be attractive to an employer.  Even then, East Central Indiana isn't exactly a hot bed of technological development, so I don't have any promise of a job.  Add in the current economy (no, Mr. President, it ISN'T getting any better), and I'm quite concerned.

In related news, the past two weeks of being a house husband have been nice, insofar as I've been able to do a lot of "Honey-Do" items, stay ahead of the laundry (not easy with two pre-teen daughters), and keep the house clean.

On the positive side, other than the above, we have a good supply of food: Half a pig and a quarter cow in the freezer along with a couple chickens, canned veggies galore, bags of beans and rice and flour and such, and a decent stash of pesos in the bank.  We'll have to tighten down the purse strings if I don't find something soon, but we'll make it.

Worst case scenario, I get a job at the local Mega Home Improvement Warehouse store while doing a few things to get my paramedic certification back, and I return to my roots on the ambulance.  I was pretty decent at it once, from what they tell me.

Still, I really would prefer I find a job in Information Tech.  If anyone has leads in the area (Muncie and surrounding vicinity), drop me a line?

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

I hope you're able to translate over quickly... C++ and Microsoft certs are probably the quickest/easiest to get. Thoughts and prayers JB.

Maureen said...

You might look into clinical/healthcare informatics. Hospitals are all implementing electronic medical record systems to meet "meaningful use" requirements of the American Recovery and Reinvestment act. Having a patient care background and even a limited knowledge of how EMRs and software systems work would put you ahead of the pack. There are a lot of hospitals looking for folks with clinical backgrounds who can easily pick up how the software works, how to build the system, generate the endless reports required to attest and to survive the audits after they attest, etc. (I work for a healthcare information systems vendor in MA with a lot of customers in Indiana; our software is windows-based but development tools and language are largely proprietary, so certifications are nice but not really necessary. This is the case with several other major vendors as well.)