November 20, 2012

I Love the Smell of Bacon in the Morning

Well, Epic Hog Hunt v 3.0 was pretty nice.  A couple days in the Texas Hill Country, watching the sun rise, sitting around the camp fire in evenings, slinging brass all over at the range during the mid-day... I can think of worse ways to spend a couple days, and they all start with "w" and end in "ork".

I didn't get a hog... saw a handful one morning, about 230 yards down a fairly narrow shooting lane between trees.  A shot I could make, had they been standing still long enough for me to get the scope on 'em and obtain a sight picture.  Sadly, by the time I got the window of the blind down and the rifle up, they scampered off into the woods, never to be seen again.

Ambulance Driver, however, managed to put a 130 grain .270 Winchester into the southern end of a north-bound hog, and ended up with this nice boar, which probably checked in around 140 pounds on the hoof.


That'll put meat in the freezer for a while.  Nice shot, AD.

I cut out a day early to catch an earlier flight home than planned, as the Missus needed me and a wife in need trumps a day of hunting anytime.

Not entirely sure if I'll go back next year.  The conference is in a different place, so the logistics become more complex, and quite frankly I'm tired of paying $250 each year to sit around in a blind, drinking beer in the evenings, and walking away without anything in the ice chest.  Maybe I'll find a place where we can shoot some ducks or geese... a lot more action in that than in hunting pig.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Sorry to hear you didn't get one, but at least you SAW one, that's an improvement :-)

Bobball said...

Maybe the Canuck can come up with a conference in Winnipeg...much duck and goose hunting up that way...