August 21, 2012

There's That Paranoia Again

The paranoia that assumes every law-abiding person that carries a legally permitted firearm is pre-disposed to commit violence.
"My own personal policy in my classes is if I am aware that there is a firearm in the class -- registered or unregistered, concealed or unconcealed -- the class session is immediately canceled," Peterson said. "I want my students to feel unconstrained in their discussions."
His implication is that someone might be afraid to speak their mind because someone else might have a gun.  Because, you know, CCW holders are just one "I don't agree with you" statement away from popping a cap into a fellow physics student.

It happens all the time.  Sure.
"I imagine the folks paying for his class would be disappointed if class is canceled every time somebody exercises their right to carry," said Manley...
Not just disappointed, but if I were a student in Prof. Peterson's class and he did this and it resulted in a sub-standard education, I'd sue the daylights out of him for breech of contract.  I entered an agreement with the University: I pay money and put in the effort, you provide me a quality education.  If he cancels class every time I pack my heater, he's violating not only my civil rights, but contractual rights as well.

It strikes me that it's not the guns people dislike... it's that they dislike people who like guns.

UPDATE: According to this,

"University of Colorado Chancellor Phil DiStefano is telling faculty members they have no right to cancel classes if one of their students is lawfully carrying a gun."
Good for him.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Good point, and again, concealed IS concealed... Just sayin...