April 6, 2012

The Shooters Community

Some people often think of gun-folks as selfish, uncaring, isolationists who don't care about anyone else.

These people are wrong.

I put up a post on a local shooters web forum that I read, mentioning that I needed new brake pads on my vehicle, and while I don't have a lot of spare cash laying around in boxes at the Stately JB Manor, I did have some home brew beer and a couple hunner't rounds of .22LR, and who'd be willing to show me how to replace brakes on an '05 Grand Cherokee in trade for some beer, some range time, and can I buy you a cheese burger when we're done?

I got no less than 10 offers.  In an hour.

I don't know any of these people, outside of that website.  But they offered to open their homes garages to a stranger, show me a thing or two, and do so because, as one fellow put it, "I just like to help people out when I can."

So tomorrow, I'll be getting my brake pads changed, I'll be slinging some lead down rage, and I'll be sitting in the sunny Colorado sky, eating a bacon cheeseburger and drinking a cold beer with a new friend.

As "A Girl And Her Gun" might say, "These are my people."

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, good folks, and I'm thankful WE are members of that community! Enjoy the shooting and the burger!!!

TOTWTYTR said...

Down "rage" or down "range"?

Either way, it's OK, all things considered.

Most gunnies are conservatives. Most conservatives are very charitable and helpful. As opposed to most liberal who are charitable and helpful with other peoples' money.

Just an observation.

Jeff B said...

Down range... fingers don't always listen to the brain's instructions.