March 30, 2012

Requiescat in Pace



Jason Strickland, 37 year old EMT at Grady Memorial Hospital EMS in Atlanta, Georgia.

Riding his motorcycle home after a shift, a drunk driver rear ended him, throwing him from his motorcycle into on-coming traffic.

He served his community, all hours of the day, all days of the week, all types of weather.  You get Christmas Day off to spend with family, and he was on duty, ready to respond when a complete stranger called for help.

Jason and I never met.  I left Grady long before he started there.  But we chewed some of the same dirt, and for that I call him "brother," I mourn his loss, and I weep for his wife and children.  

Stand down, now, Jason.  Your shift is complete, Code 7 for the remainder.  We'll take it from here.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

RIP Jason, you've spent your time in the trenches... Thoughts and prayers will be said for the family.

Ed Bonderenka said...

I thank the EMTs every time they come to the house, and pray for them when I see the lights on as I pull over to make way for them.