February 4, 2012

It's a receipt, not a novel

Can anyone tell me when, or why, it became standard for receipts to be so large?

Below is a receipt handed to me today for the book of stamps I bought at the Post Office.

And that's the book of stamps beside it, for scale:



Am I the only one that is annoyed by this? For the love of FSM, the thing is 13 inches long. And it has one item of sale on it. Yes, there's a line about a mail pickup, since I had a registered letter I needed to sign for, but beyond the "Total: $9.00" and "Paid cash: $10.00" it's nothing but a waste of paper.

12 lines of asterisks, which are apparently designed to indicate the different sections. One might mistake the section asking me to take a survey to give feedback from the part where it says that sales on stamps are final. I can't fathom the level of chaos that such a mistake could cause. Why, we might find ourselves facing a fully self-aware SkyNet if I didn't catch that error.

I suppose the idea is to inform people about different services and options and such offered by whatever vendor provided such receipts, but honestly, until today, I've never bothered to read the whole thing.

I don't see the point of a foot-plus long sheet of paper for a book of stamps. Maybe I'm missing something.

2 comments:

Mule Breath said...

Either you were simply lost for something about which to blog or you are severely stressed. Either way you must remember that He boiled for your sins.

Now you should adhere to procedure and spend time Blessing the Holy Spirits. If you don't have a batch currently brewed rush to the nearest King Soopers and purchase a six-pack of whatever is on sale. The Blessing should commence as soon as fashionably possible

Don't forger your colander when you go out... and your towel... You just never know.

Old NFO said...

Nope, it's getting that bad everwhere, 11 inch one from Verizon for 1 item, 14 inch one from the grocery store for 6 items yesterday...