April 12, 2009

Lessons learned from the pirate/hostage thing

1. Do not, do not, do NOT fuck with the U.S. Navy SEALS. Just don't.

2. Obama did the right thing authorizing the rescue mission, and for that I give him due credit. He did a hell of a lot more with this scenario than Carter did when other US citizens were held hostage, lo some 30 years ago.

3. Capt. Richard Phillips should be recognized for his sacrifice, his attempt at escape, and his strength during this ordeal. Rather than lay down and hope for the best, he took it upon himself to at least TRY to escape. Good job, Captain.

4. Do not fuck with U.S. Navy SEALS.

4 comments:

Tom B said...

Jeff - read the book Delta by Charles Beckwith and you'll gain a little respect for Carter.

TOTWTYTR said...

I don't know if you'll gain more respect for Carter, but if you can find a copy of The Guts to Try you'll get a lot more insight into the rescue mission, how hard it was to put together, and why it failed.

I don't give Obama credit for much, but he did to the right thing here. Unfortunately talking about bringing the pirate here for trial, confirms my worst fears about lawyering war to death.

Steve said...

I have to agree...it looks like we are going to make a bureauacratic ordeal out of every situation. I don't understand why this situation required 18 presidential briefings.

Cristin said...

I have been lurking for some time and really enjoy your blog. That being said, I couldn't let another post go by that I should comment on so here I am de-lurking myself :) I am so proud of the men and women who fight for the U.S. We truly have the best military in the world!!!