March 6, 2013

Being Neighborly

Man and his wife across the street are quite pleasant folks, one of the few in the neighborhood that will give a wave or stop to chat if we happen to chance upon each other at the hardware store.  He's a cop, she works in an insurance office, doing something or another, I can't quite recall.

At any rate, nice folks.

Last night, the sky decided to dump some snow.  About 5 or 6 inches of heavy, wet stuff, a white blanket over a serene landscape.  I took the cats to the vet first thing in the morning to get fixed (I've had enough of listening to them wailing in heat) and got home after a quick stop for gas.

Fired up the snow blower (how did I ever live without one until now?) and started clearing the drive and walk.  Neighbor lady pulled up and rolled down her window:

"JB, my husband isn't feeling well, and I was wondering if you'd like to make some money and clear our drive?"

I declined her money, telling her I'd rather she pay the kindness forward and help someone else when she had the opportunity to do so, and did their drive and walk for free.

I hope this won't cost me any "Greedy Capitalist Pig" street cred.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Taking care of the neighbors is just the 'right' thing to do...

Mule Breath said...

The term "neighborly" means something. Doing what you did was the proper, humanistic thing to do. Very progressive of you, actually.