January 9, 2013

Bean Soup

It's been a couple chilly weeks here at Chateau JB, and while today is warm, sunny, and the snow is melting, I've lived through enough Indiana winters to know that it will get cold again.

And, for my money, a cold winter day just calls for a bowl of ham and bean soup.

So, channeling my inner Brigid, I offer you my bean soup:

2 pounds of 15 Bean Soup mix.
1 pound diced ham.
1 large onion, chopped (NOT diced.... you want bigger chunks of onion.)
1 clove garlic, minced.
1/2 tsp salt
1 - 16 ounce can diced tomatoes UNDRAINED.
1 - 10 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles, UNDRAINED.

Wash the beans, place in a large pot, add water to cover 2 inches above beans, and soak overnight.

Drain the beans, add them to your soup pot with the ham, onion, garlic, salt, and a quantity sufficient of water.  Boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2-2.5 hours.  Or longer.

Add the tomatoes and the chiles, simmer another hour, and serve with cornbread.

 

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Sounds good...

Anti Money Laundering said...

Yeah sounds good, I better try this. Thanks!